Finally got fed up with the porch being so dark. Bought a 50ish inch long 3/8″ drill bit and poked a hole from the attic down to the outside next to the front door. Ran a wire from the entry way light out that way so the switch controls lights on both sides.
Used a large hole saw to cut away the siding for a junction box to sit flat, and wired up the cheapo fake lantern. Had to ignore most of the instructions since it was written for flush mounting on a flat wall. Might re-wire it to be on a photocell later so we don’t have to switch it ourselves (I’m not a fan of motion detectors).
Had the house to myself Monday and decided it was time to punch holes in things. Moved the bathroom light switch around to the inside of the bathroom, added a friend for it, and moved the existing outlet over about a foot. Works like a proper bathroom now. I figure the switch closer to the door is easiest to hit, so that’s lights. The next one is not a blind swing friendly one, so that’s for the fan. Having the outlet so far away makes it so any errant arm flailing for the switch won’t knock out your toothbrush charger’s power cord the night before a dentist visit, thus saving your chance of having bacon free teeth when they check your chompers. Below the switch is just some mudding in progress.
Since I had that new switch ready to go, may as well add in a bathroom fan too. I feel like ceiling cat…
Got a cheapo one that’s loud and wussy. Our bathroom is tiny so wussy is fine, and a little noise is good for privacy. Beats running the tap anyway. Still need to touchup the ceiling around it a bit and duct it outside so we can use while showering.
Former outlet in the office is now just a memory. The patch job turned out rather nicely after the paint dried. Cinderblocks are bothersome. I would have liked to have had a 3 prong outlet here but could not fish the wire.
The outlets in the office on the exterior wall proved to be waaaaay too difficult to drop new wires down to, so I installed a couple rework boxes on the opposite wall.
And started removing and patching the holes from the old outlets.
We also decided that the office did in fact need trim since the carpet/wall edge was not as nice looking as we hoped. We tried to match the new trim to the existing trim, which was all painted to match the rest of the house’s trim. If you cant tell which side here is new, we done good.
Finished wiring up the east outlets (2nd bedroom and hallway) to a 20 amp circuit. Should keep the vacuum cleaner happy. Went ahead and replaced the outlets with white ones and put one of the tan ones up in the attic for tools or lighting or slot car racing or whatever.
Also, we started moving in. One van load down, several more to go. #packrats
After some fumbling around deciding a switchbox should be where a stud apparently is, and then misjudging again when tracing around the box, we now have a second light switch on the south side of the hall (with a little mud required…). Wired it up as a 3 way and rewired the existing switch to match. Boom! 3 way hall light switches.
The one on the north end was a more tricky to fish since it was an existing box, but it did turn out nicer.